I got my hair relaxed a few days ago after stretching my relaxer for four months. In the past, I used Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil Relaxer, but I used Dr. Miracle's No-Lye Regular Relaxer this time (I wanted to change it up, and I am comfortable with Dr. Miracle's relaxer and its strength). My hair came out silky straight, smooth, and smelling great (the peppermint-smelling leave-in in the packet makes your hair smell heavenly, and also nourishes the hair post-relaxer). I gained a little bit of length, but nothing major. I am still on track with my healthy hair goals - my goal by the end of 2012 is to be at mid-back length. Here is a pic of where my hair is now, and my thumb is where I want my hair to be by the end of the year (I need about 2 or so inches of length to reach that goal):
I can't wait to reach mid-back length, but I want to make sure I also keep my hair healthy and thick along the way. So far, no complaints!
In terms of my regimen, I have made a few slight adjustments:
- I shampoo and condition with my Joico Moisture Recovery as usual (about twice a week, depending on my exercise regimen for the week).
- New Change!: I am now using Eden Body Works' Jojoba Monoi All Natural Deep Conditioner (I bought it at Walmart) as a deep conditioner, and I try to deep condition almost every time I shampoo/condition my hair. Check out my review on this amazing deep conditioner here.
- I use "It's a 10!" Miracle Leave In as a Leave-In spray (as usual) after shampooing/conditioning
- I use the T-Shirt method (as usual) to smooth my hair cuticles and then air dry to about 80% dry before applying heat
- I use Biosilk's Silk Therapy (as usual) to prep my hair before blowdrying with my TwinTurbo blow dryer (I just need to blowdry the roots - the rest of the hair is pretty much dry after air drying for a while)
- I use Chi Silk Infusion (as usual) to prep my hair before flat ironing with my 1" Babyliss flat iron (no more than one swipe per small section of hair)
- I moisturize my hair with organic/natural coconut oil (as usual)
- I wrap my hair every night in a silk/satin scarf (as usual)
- New Change!:I watch my hair for split ends about once a week and trim off any splits that I see (if I see any at all)
- New Change!: I wear my hair in protective hair styles more often (buns and ponytails) to give my hair rest from styles that may require some heat
That's pretty much it for now. Stay tuned for more hair updates and progress along the way!
-Written by: Kris